The Waiting Child

A lady from my church who adopted from China gave me a book to read about adoption. She said that it was her all time favorite book about adoption, and I now see why! The name of the book is The Waiting Child. This book is not just a book about a family loving an orphan and bringing her home, but about this orphan's love for another orphan.

This is a true story about a little girl named Jaclyn. Her family adopts her from China, but when they bring her home she cannot forget a little boy in the orphanage that she basically mothered at the age of three. This book took me a little while longer to get through than most books not because it was boring, but because the reality of what life in the orphanage was like for this little girl. My heart broke as she would tell stories about surviving in the orphanage and the memories she clearly recalled after she was home in America. Stories of rain coming through the window at night, and then being punished for wetting the bed. Stories of rats running the floors at night, and other stories that made me just stop and pray for my baby and all orphans around the world.

I know not all orphanages are nightmares, but I don't believe any of them are what anyone would truly want for their child. Even in a place where people love the children, there are just too many children and not enough workers or resources to be the place it really needs to be.

The story inspired me. This very passionate little girl thought not of what she had in America, but only what this little boy did not and how he desperately needed a family like her. I don't want to give it all away in case you decide to check it out, but the little boy is not forgotten. This little girl makes a way to her "baby" and brings him to a forever home.

I want to thank Jane McCoy for letting me borrow the book for such a long time. Between school, work, and life, I unfortunately do not get to read for pleasure as much as I would like.

I think we could all take a few lessons from Jaclyn. Throughout the book, she reminds you of how truly wonderful life in America is and how we truly take so much for granted. She reminds you that even when life is going great for you, there are people struggling who need your help. I think the biggest reminder is that even when it seems impossible, do not give up. Keep fighting for what you know is right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ethiopia, Welcome to the Family

The "Lucky" Misconception

Parting the Sea Walking on Dry Land Kind of Prayers